Howard Klein has 30 years of experience in a broad array of litigation, including commercial, professional liability, products liability, and medical malpractice cases, construction disputes, and class actions.
In addition to his litigation practice, Howard is a faculty member in the trial advocacy program at Temple University Law School. He is a NITA Instructor in its deposition skills program and is a frequent lecturer on trial advocacy subjects, including expert testimony issues, cross-examination skills, and substantive subjects in medical malpractice litigation. He is a former president of the Pennsylvania Association of Defense Counsel.
- Represented one of the oldest American companies in a multi-million dollar contract dispute which resulted in dismissal with prejudice of plaintiff's claim on the grounds that under Pennsylvania's Uniform Commercial Code, performance standards within the parties' agreement were not the only grounds for termination, and therefore the parties' contract was terminable at-will.
- Served as co-trial counsel for a number of tobacco companies in smoking and health litigation in Pennsylvania, as well as counsel in related actions.
- The representation of a major computer manufacturer in over 150 repetitive stress injury cases in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
- Served as lead and national counsel for contact lens solution manufacturer in suits alleging fungal eye infections.
- Served as lead counsel for leading chemical companies in range of cases, including cases claiming toxicity from exposure to benzene, toluene and ethyl xylene, respiratory injury and other personal injuries.
- The representation of a blood supplier in Pennsylvania in cases involving alleged transmission of HIV and Hepatitis C though blood products, and cases alleging venopuncture injuries.
- The representation of physicians and hospitals in Philadelphia in medical malpractice litigation, including The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
- The representation of physicians and other professionals as personal counsel in litigation matters.
- Successfully represented a Philadelphia law firm in a claim of sexual orientation discrimination.
- The representation of lawyers and law firms in legal malpractice litigation, including representation of plaintiffs’ counsel in putative class action alleging breach of fiduciary duties in connection with settlement of asbestos cases.
- The representation of lawyers and other professionals in cases involving disputes surrounding dissolution of practices or partners leaving the firm.
- Represented major oil refinery in litigation involving catastrophic personal injury and death claims brought against refinery, including cases involving explosions and trucking accidents involving multiple deaths and personal injuries.
- The representation of a major steel company in variety of matters, including:
- An over $80 million claim for defective construction of a coke oven which involved complex issues of construction law as well as complicated scientific and technical issues;
- Premises liability claims involving work place accidents, alleged toxic torts, including benzene and asbestos;
- Alleged fraud claims surrounding sale of subsidiary.
- The representation of a major telecommunications equipment company in superfund litigation and in construction claims arising from design of superfund remediation project.